Oral hygiene is vital for your overall health since poor oral hygiene can lead to gum and dental problems. These issues can be avoided with good dental hygiene routines. When it comes to cosmetic & general dentistry Bronx, NY,there are a few things you can do to maintain good oral hygiene.
This type of dentistry focuses on the appearance of your teeth, gums, and bites. It can also help to prevent or treat various oral health problems. Some of the issues include:
- Gum disease: This infection of the gums can lead to tooth loss.
- Tooth decay is when bacteria in your mouth break down sugars and create acids that eat away at your enamel.
- Bad breath: This is caused by bacteria in your mouth and can signify gum disease.
- Oral cancer is a rare form of cancer that can occur in the mouth.
Cosmetic dentistry entails different types of procedures, including:
- Teeth whitening: This is a standard procedure done in-office or at home.
- Veneers: These are thin, custom-made shells bonded to the front of your teeth.
- Bonding: This is when a tooth-colored resin is bonded to your teeth.
- Inlays and Onlays: These are made of porcelain or composite material to restore decayed or damaged teeth.
- Implants: These are artificial replacement tooth roots surgically placed in your jawbone.
- Crowns: These are covers that are placed over your natural teeth.
- Bridges: These are false teeth used to fill in gaps left by missing teeth.
Here are some oral hygiene tips from general dentists:
Brush Your Teeth At least Twice a Day
When you brush your teeth, you remove plaque that can cause tooth decay and gum disease. Plaque is a sticky layer of food debris, bacteria, and saliva that sticks to the teeth. If you don’t remove plaque, it can harden into tartar, which is more difficult to remove.
Floss Your Teeth Every Day
Flossing helps remove plaque and bacteria between your teeth, which your toothbrush can’t reach. It is beneficial to floss before you brush to get the fluoride from your toothpaste between your teeth.
Mouthwash can help remove plaque and bacteria from your mouth. It also freshens your breath. Make sure to use fluoride-containing mouthwash. Your doctor or dentist can help you choose a mouthwash that is right for you.
Eat a Healthy Diet
Eating a balanced diet is good for your overall health, including your oral health. Tooth decay can be exacerbated by eating high-sugar foods. Foods that are high in fiber can help keep your gums healthy.
Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Visiting your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings is vital for maintaining good oral health. Your dentist can detect problems early and provide treatment to prevent more severe problems from developing.
Smoking is bad for your overall health, including your oral health; it can cause gum disease and tooth decay. It can also lead to cancer of the mouth, tongue, and throat. If you smoke, your doctor can help you quit. These simple tips can help you maintain good oral hygiene and keep your smile looking its best. Call your doctor at Riverdale Dental Arts if you have any questions about taking care of your teeth.